Monday, October 24, 2011

What I learned starting my first software company, post #1

When I sold Enigma more than a decade ago, I knew I didn't want to be H.R. director anymore, but I did like the software development process. As time has progressed, my goal as been to find (well, really, evolve) a process and stick with it. I am convinced that an iterative/Agile approach is superior, and I've spend the better part of the last ten years applying my own Kaizen modifications to what has become an industry common practice. That makes it challenging to provide training for the team/organization on the process, but funny how process documentation and the needed training materials/agenda match up pretty well.

Of course the team is key to success -- a good blend of skills works well and makes a cohesive team, but a degree of passion, experience, consistency, creativity, aptitude, and humor are all needed. I try to remind myself that everybody brings something different. There is no one person that can do it all, and understanding personality differences, human nature, and having a little compassion for individual circumstances helps greatly. I am not a big advocate of tests, but ascertaining how people will work together is important. Sometimes, I've found, a pint together at my local works. In other cases, you just have to hire someone, and see if they work out, in 30 days or less!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In general, learning cannot stop in the software industry. I want to advise not to give up for all who beginning their way into IT (because at the beginning it will be difficult). I started with the small soft company and now I'm working on a http://www.nixsolutions.com/ developing giant.

    ReplyDelete