Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Are Microservices the Future of Cloud Computing?

SAP President Steve Singh is already looking to the future, and shared his forecast on an episode of CNBC’s “Mad Money”:

There’s another shift coming, and that’s from cloud computing to microservices. Now I realize that microservice is a bit geeky so maybe I can give you a simple example. When Kate, your producer, sent me an email saying, ‘hey would you like to come on the show’ obviously, I always love seeing you so I said, ‘I’ll be there Thursday.’ And just in that email thread, it automatically decided that I should book travel for Steve out to New York so I can join you on the show. All of that happened from the email. So what’s happening is the email is saying, look I need to book travel. I’ll just call Concur and have Concur do it for me. So as a user, I don’t go into Concur. I just go about my normal daily routine and the applications start to take actions for me all seamlessly.”
Concur is the travel expense software startup that Singh led through its sale to SAP for $8.3 billion in 2014. The acquisition turned SAP into one of the largest cloud companies in the world. As part of the deal, Singh joined as an executive board member and president of business networks and applications. Here's a site that touts SAP microservices. Read more about the SAP president's ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment